Over the years, family, friends, co-worker and students have enjoyed this tried-and-true desert. For birthdays, our sons prefer it over birthday cake!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar or chocolate frosting
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Insert a large round tip into a pastry bag; add batter. Pipe into 12 strips (about 3 in. long) 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape; cool.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan; gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool.
- Split puffs; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Fill eclairs just before serving. Replace tops; dust with confectioners' sugar or spread with frosting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 211 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.