Traditional Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
SINCE this coffee cake can serve as dessert for the evening meal and a warm-up for breakfast the next day, we enjoy it often. It’s just the right size for my husband and me.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and remaining walnuts. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 233 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Nut Coffee Cake in Reminisce Extra May 2007