Traditional Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
SINCE this coffee cake can serve as dessert for the evening meal and a warm-up for breakfast the next day, we enjoy it often. It’s just the right size for my husband and me.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in raisins and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and remaining walnuts. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.