- 12 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) chunk white chicken, drained, divided
- 1/3 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 cups Biscuit Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- In a stockpot, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add water. Stir in the vegetables, one can of chicken, bouillon and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit baking mix, parsley and remaining pepper. Stir in milk just until moistened. Fold in remaining chicken.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews forTraditional Chicken Dumpling Soup
"very good, it seemed like alot so I only made 1/2 the recipe of the soup part and about 1/5 the recipe of the biscuit part. I thought their was plenty of biscuits and so I don't think I would want to make as many biscuits as the recipe called for, but what I made I thought was quite good."
"This was absolutely delicious. It has a lot of butter, though, so not exactly the healthiest. I may try to reduce the butter if I make it again. I substituted noodles for the dumplings because I didn't have enough baking mix. Turned out great!"
"My husband LOVED this recipe. I cut the recipe in half because it looked like it would make too much, but now I wish I would have made the full recipe. I also used my own chicken that I chopped up rather than from a can."