VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Warm biscuits
- In large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots, onion and green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and sage; stir in milk and broth until smooth. Gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened; Add peas and chicken.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with biscuits. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken a la King in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p44
Reviews forTraditional Chicken A La King
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2012
"This has turned into my goto recipe for chicken ala King! I love the sage flavor. When I am short on time, I use frozen veggies instead and serve over rice."