- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, sugar, parsley, yeast, salt, basil, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cheeses, eggs and parsley; set aside. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out two-thirds of dough into a 18x15-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish (edges will hang over sides). Press pastry onto bottom and up sides of dish.
- Spread filling over crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of dish; place over filling. Trim edges; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top. beat egg and water; brush over top. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; cut into squares. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Reviews forTraditional Calzone
"This is a great recipe that can feed a crowd! I have used bought garlic and herb pizza dough to make it easier, it is almost as good. I also serve it with a warmed pizza sauce on the side."
"My husband loves this recipe. It is very filling because it is so thick."