VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5-1/2 cups torn romaine
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, pineapple and onion; set aside. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil to 375°. Fry wonton strips, in batches, for 10-20 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle over salad.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. While processing, gradually add olive oil in a steady stream. Transfer to a pitcher or bowl; serve with salad. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tossed Salad with Wonton Strips in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p48