Tossed Salad with Wonton Strips
This breezy salad from Bonnie Ann Bussiere-Bermeo of Sparks, Nevada has it all! Fresh tomatoes and pineapple add pretty color while balancing the zesty dressing. Topped with golden brown crispy wonton strips, every bite is full of flavor!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5-1/2 cups torn romaine
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, pineapple and onion; set aside. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil to 375°. Fry wonton strips, in batches, for 10-20 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle over salad.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. While processing, gradually add olive oil in a steady stream. Transfer to a pitcher or bowl; serve with salad.
Originally published as Tropical Tossed Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.