Tortilla-Vegetable Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 3 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a 6-qt. stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla strips and, if desired, cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 315 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1386mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 18, 2015
This was a really good tortilla soup. I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches for a quick and easy dinner.
Nov 7, 2014
This was a good soup as written, but I found it a tad bland. I added some salt, more garlic, and some lime juice to pep it up a bit.
Oct 14, 2013
My husband and I love soups. This was delicious and so quick. This is a keeper :-)
Jan 22, 2013
Delicious! I'm fairly picky, but will make again. I left out the tortillas and the chicken drippings. I was getting tired of white chicken chili and this was a nice change using both beef AND chicken broth.
Jan 8, 2012
Added a dash of chili powder and a little less cumin to an otherwise outstanding recipe. Don't overlook the tortillas. The crunchy taste was a terrific complement to the soup. Try giving them a very light coating of cooking spray with a dusting of chili powder or any other flavor before baking. Oh Yeah!
Jan 3, 2012
Went right by the recipe. Delicious.
Oct 12, 2010
It tasted fine, not spectacular. I just prefer the tortilla soup recipes without celery and carrots, which actually makes it easier and quicker too.
Sep 25, 2010
This soup was excellent. If you like a little more heat, a few drops of hot pepper sauce and mexican pepper jack cheese give it a little kick.
Oct 19, 2009
This was a hit with everyone! I knew already that my family did not like the taste of coriander, so I omitted it. I did add about a teaspoon of chili powder in it's place and the soup was great! This will definitely be made again and again.
Sep 9, 2009
All I can say is YUMMY! I keep the ingredients for this on hand, because it has become my favorite soup.