Tortilla-Vegetable Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 3 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a 6-qt. stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla strips and, if desired, cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 315 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1386mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 18, 2015
This was a really good tortilla soup. I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches for a quick and easy dinner.
Nov 7, 2014
This was a good soup as written, but I found it a tad bland. I added some salt, more garlic, and some lime juice to pep it up a bit.
Oct 14, 2013
My husband and I love soups. This was delicious and so quick. This is a keeper :-)
Jan 22, 2013
Delicious! I'm fairly picky, but will make again. I left out the tortillas and the chicken drippings. I was getting tired of white chicken chili and this was a nice change using both beef AND chicken broth.
Jan 8, 2012
Added a dash of chili powder and a little less cumin to an otherwise outstanding recipe. Don't overlook the tortillas. The crunchy taste was a terrific complement to the soup. Try giving them a very light coating of cooking spray with a dusting of chili powder or any other flavor before baking. Oh Yeah!
Jan 3, 2012
Went right by the recipe. Delicious.
Oct 12, 2010
It tasted fine, not spectacular. I just prefer the tortilla soup recipes without celery and carrots, which actually makes it easier and quicker too.
Sep 25, 2010
This soup was excellent. If you like a little more heat, a few drops of hot pepper sauce and mexican pepper jack cheese give it a little kick.
Oct 19, 2009
This was a hit with everyone! I knew already that my family did not like the taste of coriander, so I omitted it. I did add about a teaspoon of chili powder in it's place and the soup was great! This will definitely be made again and again.
Sep 9, 2009
All I can say is YUMMY! I keep the ingredients for this on hand, because it has become my favorite soup.