- 3 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chicken drippings, optional
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, skim fat from drippings. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, carrot and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the chicken broth, black beans, beef broth, tomatoes, chicken, corn, seasonings and drippings if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheese if desired and tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTortilla-Vegetable Chicken Soup
"This was a good soup as written, but I found it a tad bland. I added some salt, more garlic, and some lime juice to pep it up a bit."
"My husband and I love soups. This was delicious and so quick. This is a keeper :-)"
"Added a dash of chili powder and a little less cumin to an otherwise outstanding recipe. Don't overlook the tortillas. The crunchy taste was a terrific complement to the soup. Try giving them a very light coating of cooking spray with a dusting of chili powder or any other flavor before baking. Oh Yeah!"
"Went right by the recipe. Delicious."
"It tasted fine, not spectacular. I just prefer the tortilla soup recipes without celery and carrots, which actually makes it easier and quicker too."
"This soup was excellent. If you like a little more heat, a few drops of hot pepper sauce and mexican pepper jack cheese give it a little kick."
"All I can say is YUMMY! I keep the ingredients for this on hand, because it has become my favorite soup."