Tortilla Beef Casserole
When I first started making this casserole, I wrapped up the tortillas like enchiladas, but this way is much easier and just as good. I've also make it with ground turkey instead of beef.—Janice Wedemeyer, Holland, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (26 ounces) condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups shredded Colby/Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream, tomatoes, chopped lettuce, ripe olives, onions and/or additional picante sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain broth from soup, reserving rice mixture (discard broth or refrigerate for another use). Stir rice mixture and picante sauce into beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Place four tortillas on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread with half of the beef mixture. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half over the beef. Top with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, olives, onions and/or picante sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 453 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Tortilla Beef Casserole in Casserole Cookbook