When I first started making this casserole, I wrapped up the tortillas like enchiladas, but this way is much easier and just as good. I've also make it with ground turkey instead of beef.—Janice Wedemeyer, Holland, Michigan
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (26 ounces) condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 6 flour tortillas (9 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby/Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, tomatoes, chopped lettuce, ripe olives, onions and/or additional picante sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain broth from soup, reserving rice mixture (discard broth or refrigerate for another use). Stir rice mixture and picante sauce into beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Place four tortillas on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with half of the beef mixture. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half over the beef. Top with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, olives, onions and/or picante sauce if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Tortilla Beef Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p304
Reviews forTortilla Beef Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2013
"It was amazing I would defiantly make this again."