VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla and 2 cups of the crumb mixture; beat until well blended. Gradually beat in remaining crumb mixture.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 3-4 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into six portions. Shape each portion into twelve 6-in. ropes, about 1/4-in. thick; roll in confectioners' sugar. Shape each rope into a loop. Holding both ends of loop, twist together three times.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Roll warm cookies in additional confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Torcetti in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p68
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2015
"sounds wonderful i am going to make them for the holidays"