Topsy-Turvy Cranberry Cakes
When planning a special dinner for company during autumn, this is the dessert recipe I reach for. It's so beautiful and tasty! The cranberry flavor goes well with poultry or pork.—Susan Bazan, Sequim, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon orange zest; add cranberries. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes; set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Beat in remaining orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with coconut milk, beating well after each addition.
- Sprinkle walnuts into four greased 4-in. fluted tube pans. Spoon cranberry mixture over walnuts; pour batter into pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 487 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Topsy Turvy Cranberry Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.