Tomatoes with Herb Stuffing
This recipe uses hollowed-out whole tomatoes as cups for savory bread stuffing.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups each cubed day-old white, whole wheat and rye bread
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 8 medium tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread cubes, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add broth; toss to coat.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Spoon about 1/3 cup stuffing into each tomato. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Place remaining stuffing around tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 219 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Tomatoes with Herb Stuffing in Taste of Home June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.