Tomatoes with Herb Stuffing
This recipe uses hollowed-out whole tomatoes as cups for savory bread stuffing.—Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups each cubed day-old white, whole wheat and rye bread
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 8 medium tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread cubes, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add broth; toss to coat.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Spoon about 1/3 cup stuffing into each tomato. Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Place remaining stuffing around tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.