Tomato Zucchini Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery, garlic and green pepper in oil until tender. Add zucchini, tomatoes, broth, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in cream; heat through. Serve hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 98 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 26, 2012
I have made this recipe several times. My family enjoys it very much.
Jan 15, 2012
This was great and surprisingly filling. I blended the ingredients with the hand blender and it made it sort of like a veggie chowder. We had this and a slice of italian bread for lunch. Lasted me until dinner. Thanks for the recipe.
Jun 23, 2010
A little too bland for my taste. It was easy to make and a nice presentation; but, for my family, it just lacked flavor. I will probably look for a similar zucchini soup recipe that has a little more substance and zip to it - just my personal preference.
Nov 16, 2009
This is an awesome soup...My kids loved it. We will definately make it again.
Sep 8, 2009
This soup was just wonderful! Even my 5 and 7 year old daughters gobbled it up. A fantastic way to get them to eat their veggies! I will certainly make this soup again.
Aug 10, 2009
This soup was fantastic and different for zucchini. A light soup for a summer day. My family loved it and so did my children.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.