Tomato Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; drain. Arrange the zucchini in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining cheese mixture.
- 2. In a saucepan, saute onion in remaining butter until tender; add bread crumbs and toss to combine. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 213 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Zucchini Casserole
"Everyone just LOVES this recipe. I finally have a use for all my tomatoes and zucchini from my garden! I'm gonna start playing with this and try ricotta cheese or fresh mozzarella to make it more of a veggie lasagna."
"very good dish. I like making this in the summer when I have tomatoes from the garden."
"It was good, but I think it would be better with more of the cheese mixture and more of the bread crumb mixture."
"Very good. Took to a pot luck & it went fast. I used yellow squash & Italian Panko bread crumbs. Delicious!"
"Imsauted garlic, onion and zucchini together. Used an Italian mix of cheeses. Used my crumb topping for tomato crumble. So, I guess that you can play with it a bit and it is still good. Zucchini is very mellow."
"This was excellent. I used a shredded Italian cheese mix, and it really had a lot of flavor vs plain mozzarella. Next time I will add the garlic to the onion saute instead of putting it in with the cheese."
"This dish is a hit every time I make it - even with people who thought they wouldn't like it! Love the crumb topping!"