Tomato Wild Rice Medley
Shirley Glabb often serve rice at her home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I'm always looking for new ways to dress it up," she says. "This recipe pairs nicely with chicken or pork chops."
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano and marjoram
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until rice begins to brown. Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, wild rice and seasonings; heat through.
1/2 cup: 147 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC