Shirley Glabb often serve rice at her home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I'm always looking for new ways to dress it up," she says. "This recipe pairs nicely with chicken or pork chops."
Recommended: 19 Freezer Jam Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano and marjoram
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the long grain rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in tomatoes, wild rice and seasonings; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Medley in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p9