Fresh tomato slices and a buttery topping jazz up plain fish fillets in this easy oven entree from Kathleen Taugher of East Troy, Wisconsin. The tempting treatment helps keep the cod moist and flavorful.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 pounds cod fillets
- Pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine the water and lemon juice. Add fish; soak for 5 minutes. Drain and place fish in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pepper. Layer with onion, tomatoes and green pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 158 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Tomato-Topped Cod in Quick Cooking September/October 2000