Fresh tomato slices and a buttery topping jazz up plain fish fillets in this easy oven entree from Kathleen Taugher of East Troy, Wisconsin. The tempting treatment helps keep the cod moist and flavorful.
Recommended: Easy Fish Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 pounds cod fillets
- Pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine the water and lemon juice. Add fish; soak for 5 minutes. Drain and place fish in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pepper. Layer with onion, tomatoes and green pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato-Topped Cod in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p39