- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil
- Unfold pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-in. square; transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Combine the mozzarella, provolone and basil; sprinkle over the pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Arrange the tomato slices over the cheese. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Remove tart from baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional basil. Cut into slices. Serve hot or at room temperature. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forTomato Tart with Three Cheeses
"This was so good. Fresh tomatoes from the garden made it extra special. I made it as a side but I could easily pair this with a salad to make it a meal."
"This was SO GOOD. I was surprised that there was no "sauce", but it turned out so well I never missed it. It wasn't dry at all. I took the advice of "getavilla" and placed my tomato slices on a paper towel to absorb the liquid. My crust turned out great, not soggy at all! I did only need 3 plum tomatoes, but mine may have been big. I actually forgot to put additional basil on at the end, but I didn't miss that either. Took 13 minutes in my oven, came out beautifully. Next time I might sprinkle a little grated parmesan on the "crust" edge. Honestly it was so good I'm not sure I even want to tweak it much beyond that! We're definitely making this again. Note to self: it takes up to 40 minutes to thaw the frozen puff pastry, so keep that in mind as you're preparing this."
"Very tasty! My son in particular loves this dish. I've played around with the cheeses a lot, depending on what I have on hand--comes out great every time!"
"Very easy to make. I used a bag of 4 pre shredded Italian cheeses. I put Feta cheese on top rather than Parmesian. YUMMMMY. But --is it an appetizer or a meal??"
"I love to play with this recipe. Sometimes with different cheeses, Sometimes with thinly sliced onion but I always prebake my pie crust to a light toast to prevent a soggy bottom. Be sure to put sliced tomatoes on paper towels to absorb liquids before placing on crust."
"I added some fresh chopped garlic. Delicious!"
"This is absolutely great! I've made it several times and have received the same response every time...this is a keeper!"
"I used regular, homemade pizza dough, not puff pastry, but the rest of the recipe made a fabulous pizza!"
"Tasty, but the puff pastry was a little underdone with this cooking time. Not my favorite, would use a different base next time. easy though!"
"I have made this recipe several times and everyone loves it. My family often requests it for parties and "just because.""