Tomato-Squash Appetizer Pizza
I was looking for quick weeknight meals that would use the fresh herbs from my windowsill garden when I decided to create this seasonal flatbread pizza. To my surprise, I discovered it also made a fabulous appetizer. —Andrea Tovar, New York, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, oregano and chives
- Roll dough into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush crust with oil. Top with mozzarella cheese, squash, tomato, Parmesan cheese, pepper and herbs. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 81 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Heirloom Tomato & Yellow Zucchini, Fresh Herb Flatbread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.