Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain well and set aside. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the saucepan; add tortellini and heat through. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 114 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 14, 2014
It is January in Minnesota , so Roma tomatoes are expensive and not very good. So, I used canned whole Romas. This soup was great! I will definitely be making this again. It is simple, uses things I usually have in the pantry, and tastes great! What more could you want?
Dec 29, 2011
Very tasty, I had to use cherry tomatoes because roma were not at my grocers. I added a whole container of tortellini, which my kids mostly ate out of the soup and left the the tomato soup.
Dec 9, 2011
I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first when I read the ingredients to this soup. I was thinking it was going to have a very tomato-ey taste which neither my husband or I enjoy. I was pleasantly surprised when I served this delicious soup up!! My husband went back for seconds and thirds! Even my picky daughter enjoyed it. What a wonderful recipe. I didn't have fresh basil, but added a teaspoon of dried basil while the tomatoes simmered. Still tasted fabulous!
Jan 30, 2011
Big hit at our house! We really enjoyed it. I featured it on my blog in the recipe of the week section. http://cynfullywonderful.blogspot.com/p/recipe-of-week.html
Aug 12, 2010
I've made this recipe a few times & we love it. I will be making this again as soon as my plum tomatoes are ready. I'm glad I put it in my recipe box.
Oct 8, 2009
Tasty and fresh! Did add 1/3 cup light sour cream into the soup pot before serving. I think it adds to the texture and taste.
Feb 15, 2009
This makes a perfect lunch. I added a little bit of sugar and a little bit more salt to suit my tastes. The only change I would make next time is to use frozen tortellini. I just don't care for the taste of the dried ones.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.