Tomato Soup with a Twist
In 1932, our junior high school cooking class teacher taught us a simple recipe starting with a can of tomato soup. As I was preparing tomato soup for lunch recently, I remembered those two additional ingredients. I had forgotten what a tasty difference the peanut butter and cheese make. -Eleanor Stamen, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine soup and peanut butter. Gradually stir in milk. Add cheese; cook and stir until peanut butter and cheese are melted and soup is heated through. Garnish with additional cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1057mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Soup with a Twist in Reminisce March/April 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.