Tomato-Sesame Pasta Toss
This hearty warm pasta salad features so many flavors and textures, it's amazing they all fit in one bowl! "The sesame oil and soy sauce give it an Asian flair," shares Betty Mitchem of Satsuma, Alabama.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta, broken in half
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 14 to 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; boil for 4 minutes. Add broccoli, boil 2 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Rinse with cold water and drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, onions and cashews; toss.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over pasta mixture; gently toss to coat.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Tomato-Sesame Pasta Toss in Light & Tasty February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.