Tomato Sausage Ziti
"This hearty pasta dish is a lifesaver for a busy mom like me—it allows me to put a tasty meal on the table quickly that my whole family will eat," writes Susan Pfeiffer of South Riding, Virginia. "I serve it with a green salad and crusty bread."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 ounces turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Add the tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Drain pasta; add sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 247 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Tomato Sausage Ziti in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Dec 4, 2013
Fabulous! Great combination of flavors, I thought it was a bit salty so I added an 8oz can of tomato sauce and that did the trick. We loved this dish, and will definitely be making it again.