"I love to cook," relates Evelyn Eisenhuth of Knox, Pennsylvania. "When I decided to try a recipe prepared by a chef on TV, my husband didn't believe the combination of ingredients would be good. With its mild sweet-and-sour taste, it's now a favorite."
Recommended: 34 Incredible Burgers to Grill This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Shape beef into eight oval patties. In a large skillet, cook patties and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in orange juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomatoes. Pour over beef patties. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tomato-Orange Beef Patties in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p53