Tomato ‘n’ Corn Risotto
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1-1/3 cups fresh corn (about 5 ears of corn)
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the water, milk and broth; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup hot water mixture. Cook and stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining water mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 295 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 9, 2015
This risotto is amazing! I served it with the Bacon Wrapped Seafood Skewers in the same issue and steamed green beans. Also, I got more than enough corn out of just 3 ears.
May 27, 2013
A family summer time favorite
Dec 11, 2012
First time making risotto and I was surprised and happy that it was very easy to make! I only gave it 4 stars because I did add less Basil and left out the tomatoes ( just my preference) and I substituted the water for chicken broth and did 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of whipping cream.
Sep 24, 2011
Delicious! I used Olathe sweet corn, the crisp corn & basil were a perfect combination.
Aug 26, 2010
I think this is basically a good recipe, however, in the future I will replace the water with chicken broth and reduce the basil a little. I think that the broth will add to the flavor which we found to be a little bland and my husband doesn't like a strong basil taste. It is creamy and it was nice to use our home-grown tomatoes and basil. I did use frozen corn as fresh wasn't available.
Jun 27, 2010
This is delicious!! We usually eat it as a main dish for a light summer meal.
Dec 30, 2009
Amazing flavors! Delicious and creamy!