Tomato Mozzarella Bake
You don't often think of casseroles to serve in summertime, but this one is scrumptious with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes.—Elaine Seip, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread 2 tablespoons butter over both sides of bread. Place on a baking sheet; bake for about 3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Cut into 1-in. cubes. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in bread cubes, vegetable mixture, bacon, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cut each tomato into four thick slices; arrange over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 211 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Tomato Mozzarella Bake in Casserole Cookbook