Tomato Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the cheese, salt, mustard and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Drain pasta; stir into cheese sauce. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in tomatoes just until combined.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 655 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 789mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 17, 2014
Doesn't have much flavor at all, but an excellent choice for toddlers and older kids as well as those who can't eat a lot of spices.
Apr 9, 2013
Sooo tasty! My husband and I both love it. Our one year old, who doesn't seem to like pasta, even ate some. If you don't like tomatoes, it is really easy to dish up a plate without them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.