Tomato Hamburger Topping
I created this recipe a few years ago, and it earned my a prize in a local cooking contest. You can also serve the topping over hot cooked noodles.— Irene Smith, Lidgerwood, North Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked wild and long grain rice
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, tomato, water, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Tomato Hamburger Topping would keep well in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 198 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Hamburger Topping in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book