Tomato Garlic Soup Recipe
- 10 whole garlic heads
- 3/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 4 cans (one 14-1/2 ounces, three 28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper blend
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Croutons and shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top soft garlic heads; place cut side up in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour oil over garlic. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a blender or food processor. Add the 14-1/2 -oz. can of diced tomatoes; cover and process until smooth. Set aside. Transfer 1/4 cup of oil from the baking dish to a Dutch oven or soup kettle (discard the remaining oil or save for another use). Saute onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, cream, jalapenos, garlic pepper, sugar, salt, pureed tomato mixture and remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with croutons and cheese if desired. Yield: 18-20 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 164 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Tomato Garlic Soup
"Does this recipe freeze well?"
"This soup was DELICIOUS! It was extremely rich in flavor. I especially loved it with extra parmesan cheese!"