Tomato Garlic Soup
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes18-20 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 10 whole garlic bulbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cans (one 14-1/2 ounces, three 28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper blend
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Croutons and shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Drizzle with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a blender. Add the 14-1/2-oz. can of diced tomatoes; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Transfer 1/4 cup oil from the foil to a Dutch oven or soup kettle (discard the remaining oil). Saute onion in oil over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the stewed tomatoes, cream, jalapenos, garlic pepper, sugar, salt, pureed tomato mixture and remaining diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with croutons and cheese if desired.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 164 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
Garlic was a great addition to the tomato soup. This recipe definitely makes a big batch. Next time, I'll cut in half so we are not eating soup all week.
Sep 9, 2015
Does this recipe freeze well?
Mar 7, 2011
This soup was DELICIOUS! It was extremely rich in flavor. I especially loved it with extra parmesan cheese!