I came up with this recipe many years ago as a way to warm up my family during cooler weather. The appealing aroma of garlic and fresh basil wafts through the house as it bakes.—Barbara Hasanat, Tucson, Arizona
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- In a large bowl, combine garlic and salt; let stand for 15-20 minutes. Add potatoes and 2 tablespoons oil.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the potato mixture, onion, chicken and tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Garlic Chicken in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p12