- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups seasoned stuffing croutons, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a greased 2-qt. casserole, mix tomatoes and 1 cup croutons. Stir in onion, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Dot with butter; sprinkle with remaining croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTomato Crouton Casserole
"I grew up eating home canned tomatoes with buttered bread broken up in them. It is a tried and true flavor! I followed a couple of suggestions and browned the onions, then mixed in some flour. I didn't care for thickened tomatoes. Next time I will skip the thickener and just serve this in individual casserole dishes - like my mom did!"
"So quick and easy to make, and so good! I added abit of cornstarch and it really helped make it slightly thicker - I just dont like runny casseroles. I might brown the onion slightly next time before adding because it was abit crunchy but otherwise it had good flavour, and all the company loved it!"
"This was fabulous, even though I was dubious while making it. We halved the recipe and used a can of Hunt's Fire Roasted Tomatoes."
"Excellent dish. We used brown sugar. You can also substitute stuffing mix for a slightly different texture."
"I love this recipe for its easy preparation but most of all for its wonderful taste. The original submitter is right: it goes with just about any entree."