Tomato Crab Soup
Clinton Liu sends this so-easy soup from Edmonds, Washington. With crab and bits of vegetables in every bite, this rich dish is sure to please all the seafood fans in your family. The fresh basil gives this soup a nice fresh flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- Whisk in the flour, pepper and salt until blended. Gradually stir in the broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in crab and basil. Gradually stir in milk; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 126 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 1, 2009
Excellent..I aded a bit more garlic, some Old Bay, a few more tomatoes, regular chicken broth (28 oz) , about 1/2 c. skim milk and 3/4 c. half and half... our own fresh basil..about 1/4 cup maybe less...Awesome with Merlot or Pinot Noir