Tomato Cornbread Bake
Everyone in the family loves this dish, even the grandchildren. The cornbread topping nicely complements the ground beef, corn and tomatoes.—Lorraine Koehler, Watertown, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Combine cornbread mix, egg and milk just until moistened. Spoon over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Combine any leftover tomatoes from Tomato Cornbread Bake with your favorite salsa and serve with tortilla chips while the casserole bakes.