Tomato Cornbread Bake
Everyone in the family loves this dish, even the grandchildren. The cornbread topping nicely complements the ground beef, corn and tomatoes.—Lorraine Koehler, Watertown, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Combine cornbread mix, egg and milk just until moistened. Spoon over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Combine any leftover tomatoes from Tomato Cornbread Bake with your favorite salsa and serve with tortilla chips while the casserole bakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 422 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Cornbread Bake in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book