VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) minced clams
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Place the potatoes in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and garlic until tender.
- Drain clams, reserving liquid; set clams aside. Drain potatoes and return to the pan. Add onion mixture, bacon and reserved clam liquid. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, tomatoes, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Add clams and parsley; simmer 5 minutes longer. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Tomato Clam Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p9