Tomato-Cheese Snack Bread
My family is fond of cheese, so I have many recipes calling for that delectable ingredient. This rich bread is a great way to showcase garden-fresh tomatoes. Serve it as a snack or with your favorite grilled meats.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange tomato slices over top.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and oregano. Spoon over tomatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.