Tomato Broccoli Bake
"I've been making this comforting noodle and vegetable side dish for more than 10 years. It travels well and is always popular," notes Ellie Marsh of Lewistown, Pennsylvania.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the broccoli, tomatoes, parsley, bouillon, salt, oregano and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in macaroni and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Tomato Broccoli Bake in Light & Tasty June/July 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.