- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 slices bread, toasted and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender; stir in flour until blended. Add the tomatoes, sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in toast cubes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTomato Bread Stuffing
"I made this recipe years ago. My mother used to make these without the onion. It took me back to my childhood. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. I also cut back on the oil. I thought that 1/2 cup of veg. oil was a bit much. Delicious! I hope people who see this will try it. It really is delicious!"