Tomato Bread Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over tomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, allow salad to come to room temperature. Cut bread in half lengthwise; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 188 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2018
What a lovely appetizer. Nothing beats Fresh. Especially when fresh local tomatoes come into season. I used my own home grown Grape Tomatoes and for just the 2 of us I down sized the recipe. Love the addition of the cucumber. It just brings the onion, garlic and vinegar together. I let mine sit at room temperature, covered for a few hours. That always seems to quicken up the melding process. It is a Winner. This would be an excellent addition to a cold Spaghetti or Pasta Salad. VFE VFE *
Nov 17, 2011
It's an easy good dinner. It makes other's jealous easily.
Jul 14, 2010
I have been making this salad since I first got the recipe in 1993. It is a favorite with my husband especially. I have made it many times.