Tomato-Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
All the flavors of Pizza Margherita in fewer than 20 minutes make this the perfect meal for the whole family. My daughters call them "those special grilled cheese sandwiches." —Donna Fazenbaker, Goldsboro, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Layer the cheese and tomato slices over two bread slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with basil leaves and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 275 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Those Special Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious August/September 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.