Tomato-Basil Drop Biscuits
I grow fresh basil in my garden each summer. I use it in almost everything I cook. It really gets your taste buds going.—Shirley A. Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomato, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add tomato; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in basil. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and tomato mixture just until combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 90 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.