VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomato, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add tomato; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in basil. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and tomato mixture just until combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Tomato-Basil Drop Biscuits in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p41
Reviews forTomato-Basil Drop Biscuits
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 23, 2012
"THere is too much basil and they are't very tasty"