Tomato Barley Soup
I frequently serve this attractive soup as the mouthwatering meal after a day of skiing and sledding. Everyone who samples it comments on the robust tomato taste.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hour 10 min.
Makes28 servings (7 quarts)
- 4-1/2 to 5 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 4 quarts water
- 6 large carrots, sliced
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- In a stockpot, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Skim fat from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley and rice are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 105 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Tomato Barley Soup in Country Chicken Cookbook