Tomato Barley Salad
I like to serve this fuss-free salad alongside barbecued chicken for a hot summer evening dinner on the deck.—Sandi Lange, Sherwood Park, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 4 cups cold cooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Place barley in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over barley; toss to coat. Stir in tomatoes and corn. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 320 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 12g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Barley Salad in Country Woman May/June 2002