Tomato and Cheese Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 10 slices white bread
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a greased 8-in. square baking dish with four bread slices. Layer with half of the tomatoes, cheese and onions. Top with remaining bread (slices will overlap). Layer with remaining tomatoes, cheese and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2013
Very mushy, watery, didnt turn out how expected!
Jun 25, 2011
WAY too much bread; it was very mushy when done. I'd halve the bread and egg mixture, leaving the same amount of tomatoes without placing a layer of bread on top.
Jan 11, 2010
Didn't turn out worthwhile
Sep 9, 2009
This sounded good but turned out very watery and mushy. If I made again, would use less water and less tomatoes.