Tomato and Cheese Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 10 slices white bread
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a greased 8-in. square baking dish with four bread slices. Layer with half of the tomatoes, cheese and onions. Top with remaining bread (slices will overlap). Layer with remaining tomatoes, cheese and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Jan 20, 2013
Very mushy, watery, didnt turn out how expected!
Jun 25, 2011
WAY too much bread; it was very mushy when done. I'd halve the bread and egg mixture, leaving the same amount of tomatoes without placing a layer of bread on top.
Jan 11, 2010
Didn't turn out worthwhile
Sep 9, 2009
This sounded good but turned out very watery and mushy. If I made again, would use less water and less tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.