Tomato and Beef Soup
On a cool night, you'll warm up to bowls of this steaming soup shared by our home economists. It's brimming with good-tasting ingredients, including carrots, celery, tomatoes, pasta shells and leftover beef.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups small pasta shells, cooked and drained
- In a Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, carrots, onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add beef and pasta; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 145 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Tomato and Beef Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 2002