- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first eight ingredients. Stir in bread. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In the same bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forTomato, Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding
"We liked this but found the brown sugar to be very overpowering. Perhaps I packed it in too tightly. Next time I'm going to back off on that. I feel like it could have used more tomatoes as well, so I'll increase that next time. I didn't have the full amount of heavy cream, so supplemented it with whole milk and it seemed fine. Since I cut the recipe in half, I put it in the oven for 20 minutes, but found that the outer edges were getting brown and the middle was still very gooey. I put aluminum foil over top and put it back in for about 9 minutes. I think that was a good done-ness. Overall, I'd try this recipe again, but I'd change a few things to make it more tasty for us.Update: I tried making this again tonight, but for some reason it would NOT set. It was just mush. I cooked it for an hour and it was still quite mushy. I have no idea what went wrong. It's not my oven because I made dessert in it afterwards and that turned out fine."
"Delicious! The only things I did different were not to use the green onions (we don't care for them) and then use part heavy cream and part milk because I was using up some leftover cream I had"
"Excellent! We love it. 4 of us ate the whole pan in one setting!"
"Made this for my family as well as a church event, substituting the cream for fat-free half and half and everyone loved it!"
"This has a perfect mixture of flavors. The first time I made it, immediatly after I took my first bite, I knew I would be making it again. It is one of my favorite recipes :)"
"Tasty, but too Paula Deanish for our family."